CoDebate

Debating Code - [ASP.NET, C#, Sql Server, VB.NET]

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Importing MS Project Plan (.mpp) Data in ASP.NET

If you are struggling with Native libraries to import mpp (MSProject Plan) file data, this article is for you. This is written after my personal experience.

In the beginning , I used MSProject (InterOp) assemblies and a demo version of MSProject for my development. The problem I faced is the license. Like my other Office Automation Efforts(not recommended by MS because of its inconsistency), this assembly demands a MS Project Installation and a license in my machine.

So, I was placed in a chance to search of alternative methods. I got MPXJ, a Java-based Free Open Source library which has extensive collections of methods and utilities in it to read enough an mpp data. This pack also comes with JVM library as it needs for its compilation.

Functions,shown below, are the some of the useful things and will return a List object.
task.getResourceNames()
resource.getTaskAssignments()
resourceassignment.getPeakUnits()

Download MPXJ: http://mpxj.sourceforge.net/

Happy Programming !!!

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Karthikeyan @ 12:15 AM

2 Comments:

At March 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, I tried to use this facilities from dot net because I have to read a mpp file and then write a xml output file to do something with him later. But with this dll's is imposible, because the planner wirter is not using an scheme like the xml scheme that MPProject use to export a Project in XML format.

The xml scheme that MS Project use should be xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/project"

I'm wrong?

If you wish you can write me to: sarreche on gmail

 
At April 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM , Blogger Karthikeyan said...

I accept that there are some limitations in using this library. This dll has the methods that are more specific to Resource Usage View Pane of MS Project. I have found that it is impossible to find the resource details who have been allotted in each project.

Thanks for noting this,

With Regards,
Karthikeyan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home